Science and Technology
LONDON - The silk moth's antenna has inspired researchers from the University of Michigan to develop a better nanotechnology tool that could help understand a class of neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's.
WASHINGTON - A new brain imaging study has revealed that just the mere sight or smell of food elevates dopamine - a brain chemical linked to reward and motivation - levels in binge eaters.
WASHINGTON - A lifestyle intervention can help women control their weight gain during and after pregnancy, according to a new study.
LONDON - It has emerged that British historical drama film 'The King's Speech' would have missed winning its Oscars had it not been for a game of golf.
LONDON - A new study has found that tailored health messages to those who smoke were more likely to kick the butt in four months.
- Now a billboard that profiles people, flashes ads as per their tastes
- New personalized therapy to ‘fool cancer cells into killing themselves’
- Junk DNA makes humans so different from primates
- E-books on the rise with sales of digital books growing 18-fold in 2010
- French team unearths Maurya dynasty wall in Bangladesh
- Protein pathway find may help solve Parkinson’s disease
- Most lottery winners choose to save money than squander it
- Team achieves record 1 trillion bits per second speed on single chip
- In the blind, brain parts used for vision can help understand languages
- Lottery winners remain unchanged after windfall
- Anti-tumor drug that also fights flu virus
- Parts of brain can switch functions
- 40-million-year-old mating mites reveal sex role reversal
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space
- Mums, not dads, pass on Alzheimer’s risk: Study
- Soon, nasal spray vaccine to fight Alzheimer’s, stroke
- Make important life decisions when you really have to pee
- Copying strategies best for your genes: Study
- Gut bacteria can control functions of organs: Study
- No kids ‘the secret to marital bliss’
- Old bones being used in development of new treatments for modern back pain
- Meteorites ‘may have sparked life on Earth’
- Water demand will exceed supply by 40pc within 20 yrs, warn scientists
- Human stem cells from fat tissue successfully fuse with rat heart cells and beat
- Acupressure effective in helping to treat traumatic brain injury
- Dogs were seen as thinking, social beings 7000 years ago
- ‘Hopping’ bot to explore Moon valleys, hilltops by firing rocket nozzles
- Google accidentally wipes accounts of 150,000 Gmail users
- Genes associated with binge drinking identified
- Discovery astronauts complete ‘textbook’ spacewalk
- Discovery astronauts undertake first spacewalk
- Miami scientists track great hammerhead shark migration routes
- Appeasing kids with food could lead to bad diet in adulthood: Study
- Diets high in fish oil ‘help maintain weight during chemotherapy’
- Soon, liquid biofuels to be produced from brewery waste